What should I do if my internet connection is slow?
The internet speed is affected by several factors, it’s not always easy to determine if it is because of actual problems with your Internet service, clients, or because of issues with your home Internet network.
You can compare the results of your Internet speed test with what you are actually paying for. If the results of the speed test don’t match your Internet plan, here are some tips and tricks for troubleshooting.
*Note: If the router is too hot may cause slow Internet speeds, this can happen if it is covered with papers or perhaps a jacket, or is left exposed to sunlight.
Case One: Both the wired connection and wireless connection are slow or only the wired connection is slow
For possible resolutions, please see the following:
1. Disconnecting the Mercusys router from the modem (the piece of hardware supplied by your Internet company), then only connect your computer to the modem directly to test speed, If the Speed test result is the same as the Mercusys router, it indicates the issue is on your modem or Internet Service.
2. If there is no problem with the modem speed, please try the following tips:
a. Unplug your modem. Then, unplug your router. Wait about 2-3 minutes before powering on your modem. After your modem is fully powered, restart your wireless router.
b. Try to disable the QoS and Parental control on the Mercusys router.
c. Try a different Ethernet cable from the modem to the router, it’s better Cat6 or above.
Case Two: Only wireless internet connection is slow
For possible resolutions, please see the following
1. Clear the wireless environment when running a speed test on your wireless devices. Make sure that there are no barriers between the router and wireless device running a speed test, and the best location is 6-9 ft from the router. It’s better to put the clients (like phones or computers) and router in the same horizontal plane.
2. Change the wireless channel and channel width on the Mercusys router. You may refer to Changing Channel and Channel Width on a Mercusys Wi-Fi router. (You may change 2.4G channel width to 40MHZ, 5G channel width to 80MHZ or 160MHZ)
3. Disable the QoS and Parental Settings on the Mercusys router.(Please refer to the tips at the bottom of the page),
To login to the webpage, you may follow this FAQ: How to log into the web-based interface of the MERCUSYS Wireless Router?